Thursday, November 30, 2006

Working From Home

It's Thursday and I've been working from home all week. The deal is that I can telecommute from home every other week and every other week I need to be in the office. I can do this until I move, probably after the real bad winter is over. It's nice but it has it's pitfalls. The nice parts are that I can sit in my own home, in my underwear if I want and work at my own pace treating my time as I want. The bad news is that I'm tweaky enough about the new job that I feel more pressure to produce here so I take fewer breaks, five minute lunches (remember, lunch is upstairs in the kitchen), start my day about 7:00 to 7:30 and end up about 6:00ish. Then there's the lack of regular coworker interaction and semi-regular interruptions by my daughter. We're busy and I have a lot to do but mainly I want to give the impression that I'm not slacking off because I'm sitting at home. It's not all bad, mind you. Part of it is pressure (self-imposed, of course) to perform and produce but part of it is a simple enjoyment of what I'm doing. My wife will encourage me to take breaks and get away from the computer and I usually respond with, "Yeah, yeah, I'll be there in a minute right after I finish ____". It's a weird, new sort of thing for me because I've never really done this but it's good and bad like everything else.

On top of all that we're still getting the house ready to sell and that is taking a fair bit of work. We finally got the living room more or less done, cleaned up and got the Yule tree up. Of course, it was near 10:30 before we were done. I'm spending a lot of time tired these days. It's good though, it beats sitting around and being bored and stressed out of one's mind.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

I am between assignments currently, and I wish that I could say I was bored and stressed. Doing some jobhunting (mostly through dept of labor), but definitely not in overdrive. Unemployment helps a bit, and I am doing some freelance business development for a friend. We'll talk.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home