Thursday, November 16, 2006

The New Adventure

I'm here in Syracuse (or 'Cuse as per some of the bumper stickers I've seen here lately) and I'm getting ready to start day three. The trip started Tuesday morning at 5:00AM when I had to get out of bed and get ready to go. After a lengthy goodbye, I got in the car and made my way for gas and coffee. I had to sit outside and read my book (I'm re-reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut - If you have not read this book there's something very very wrong with you that needs to be corrected right away) until the place opened but it was only a few minutes. By 6:10 I was on my way. I stopped once or twice to take care of a few biological functions and eat but other than that I made good time and arrived just when I thought I would. The drive was uneventful. Flat, straight and not much to see, kind of like ugly bookworm girls. I arrived mid afternoon and spent the rest of my day filling out HR paperwork and getting aquainted in a mild sort of way. I left about 6:00PM, checked into my hotel and was grateful to find it was an extended stay place with a stove and fridge and all the conveniences of home. I went grocery shopping for the week, refilled my fuel tank (made the whole trip on one tank of diesel - I love my VW) and ate ravioli as I spoke with my family on the internet (Yahoo messenger with a webcam and a mic). It was a good first day.

Day two was even better. I spent the morning learning the ropes from Daniel, my new partner, and getting better aquianted with some of my new coworkers. The afternoon was spent on my first project. About 6:30, my boss, my bosses boss (Tech Op VP) and one of the project managers all went out and had dinner. I have to say that I don't think I've ever walked into a job and had people bend over backwards so far to treat me well, to welcome me and to make me feel comfortable. I am overwhelmed and grateful for having landed such a position with such a great company. If my career is anything like the past few days I will be very happy to retire from here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home